Saturday, May 31, 2014

Arrival Abroad!

Wow (wauw). Copenhagen.
I write to you this morning from a stranger's apartment.
Let me rephrase that.
My host David is currently looking after an apartment for a friend, whom I have not met, and we have been staying here since my arrival two (WHAT ONLY 2?!) days ago.
At the moment, wifi is a luxury I am only fortunate enough to have at coffee shops in the city center where I pay $7 for a lemonade. So I write these posts on my little tablet and publish them later.
The last two days have been an absolute whirlwind!
I arrived around 1:00pm on Friday, and spent an embarassingly long time trying to find the exit (udgang) from baggage claim. Once I escaped, I was greeted at the gate by my two wonderful friends David and Frederik. They carried an American flag and brought me a Tuborg beer to drink as we navigated the airport and left via subway... Note about Denmark: You can drink beer pratically ANYWHERE at basically any age. 
After the airport, we spent the afternoon wandering the Norrebro area on foot and bus. A popular passtime on sunny afternoons in Copenhagen is to grab some beer, friends, and a blanket  and have some chill time in the cemetery. So we did just that. Minus the beer and blanket. What I'm trying to say is that I collapsed took  a nap in the cemetery. Drooling. Jet lag is real.

Friday evening from about 5 to 10 we met up with some of David's friends on the steps of the Tycho Bacche Planetarium and enjoyed the three hour sunset (with beer and a Faxe Kondi soda for me). 

Later we managed to make it to someone's apartment for gin and tonics (who am I?) and a mini Danish reading lesson for me out of what is essentially the Economist magazine. Post G&Ts they guys went out, but I only made it a few minutes in a bar before the jet lag caught up with me. 
Despite being exhausted I couldn't sleep until about 3:00 am.. about 8:00pm US time. Oh well!
I can't understand anybody and I'm constantly making a fool of myself, but this place is wonderful and I never want to leave.

Next up, Saturday. It's a doozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment